Friday, May 21, 2010

Ciao Italia, Ti amo

I've got about 20 min before I need to head home to pick up my suitcase and then head to the train station where I pick up my bus to Pisa.  I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M LEAVING.  Really, truly, seriously, it hasn't completely hit me yet.  One of my friends from back home recently told me that he didn't believe it until he'd been home for  a couple of weeks.  I have had a wonderful last two days in Italy. 

I finished my last final around 11 am.  I grabbed some lunch and a bottle of wine to celebrate.  I went wandering around the city with a couple of friends.  They hadn't eaten lunch yet so we stopped, had some more wine (hey, it's my last week as a legal drinker for the next three months!), and I had some chocolate mousse.  It was a day to indulge, what can I say?  After getting entirely fully, a rather tipsy, we wandered around for some gelatto.  I had strawberry and lemon.  I adore Lemon, it might be one of my favorite flavors.  We sat in the sunshine and soaked up the Florentine rays.  I came back to the Linguaviva where full celebration mode was in swing.  It was our last time all together.  Bittersweet. 

I had my last dinner at home and said goodbye to my host mom.  Eryn and I had stopped by a flower shop on the way home to pick up some flowers.  The shop was about to close so they had already closed down the credit card machine.  We only had card but the manager said, "Take the flowers and come back and pay me tomorrow." I love Italy.  This would NEVER happen in the USA. 

Today I got up and finished packing.  I did a happy dance that my next shower would be at home with warm water and a faucet I don't have to hold over my head.  Then I made my way to school, met up with some friends, and went in search of my last Italian pizza.  We sat in front of the Santa Maria Novella and chitchatted and reminisced about the incredible four months that have gone by.  I did some final souvenier shopping and bought myself a scarf cuz I just couldn't resist.   I just finished my last gelatto which was utterly delicious. 

It's been a great 2 days.  It's been a great 4 months.  I've never used the words: beautiful, lovely, stunning, amazing so much in my life.  I needed this trip.  I was exhausted, stifled, and bored when I left.  I have grown so much in the past four months.  I've learned to trust myself and my instincts.  I've learned to love getting lost.  I've met interesting people and seen the world in a whole new.  I can't wait to come back to Europe.  I can't wait to travel elsewhere.  Ideas are already brewing for my next trip. 

I am so beyond excited to be reunited with my family and friends.  But no matter what, endings are always so difficult.  I absolutely hate endings.  Yes, I know that endings always lead to beginnings, but as they say, parting is always such sweet sorrow. 

I'll probably have one more nostalgic blog once I reach American soil.  But in case I don't get around to it, thanks for reading.  I've found blogging to be very relaxing and a good way of helping to remember it all.  It's been a whirlwind. It's been a laugh.  It's been one of the best experiences of my life. 

Love to you all.

One last time from Italy,
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment