Wednesday, March 3, 2010

From Funk to Fun

Alright, I'll admit it, I've been in a bit of a funk for the past couple of days for a multitude of mundane reasons. I still haven't finished a paper I have due tomorrow (and that I'll be working on post this post (ha!)). But I've received some rather epic advice from John that I am choosing to follow.  He gave me many words of wisdom but here are just a few:  Start small, revel in each victory, indulge in the mundane.  You've got to give it to the kid, he's got a way with words.  So, I'm choosing to follow his advice and go from there. 
 
Things are certainly looking up.  The sun is shining, the skies are blue, and I'm off to an Ibsen play called Ghosts this evening. Yesterday I went to both the National Gallery and Foundling Hospital Museum for class.  The National Gallery proved once again to be beyond beautiful.  We looked at some Hogarth paintings, noted the satire, and headed out.  Between museums I stopped and had some lunch at this charming little park outside the next museum.  We've had some pretty gorgeous weather here the past couple of days.  Warmth from the sun?  I didn't even remember what it felt like anymore.  (Now I can't wait for suntans to come).  Next it was off to the highly depressing Foundling Hospital Museum.  It memorialized a hospital that took in orphans and children of parents incapable of caring for them.  They had staggering numbers about how many children died before the age of 2, how many children were abandoned each year, and how many died from work related injuries before the age of 5.  Crazy depressing statistics.  Very interesting though I might add.
 
After that bit of optimism I came back to work on a paper and make dinner.  Last night we saw a production of Off the Endz, which was pretty fantastic.  It's a play written by an black British woman about three characters trying to "get off the Endz," the endz being similar to the American projects/ghetto.  It was an extremely modern, dynamic, and unique play.  Plus, I got to sit in the second row! (And it doesn't hurt that the male leads were not too hard on the eyes).  All in all, a very enjoyable evening at the theater.
 
Today I've had class and am now restricting myself to the internet cafe down the street from 270.  Oh! And, very exciting news! I just bought a ticket for Cat on the Hot Tin Roof, directed by Debbie Reynolds and featuring an awesome cast.  Let's see...James Earl Jones, Phylicia Rashad, Adrian Lester...just to name a few. The ticket was only 10 pounds so I decided to see it just for fun.  Cuz how could I pass up an opportunity like that? So next week will be a very busy play week for me.
 
Off to finish this paper.  The sooner I finish, the sooner I can begin celebrating finishing. Ha.
 
Eyes on the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment